‣ Our clamshell purse kits (also known as minaudiere purse kits) are super quick and so easy to make. In fact, you could even make one in your lunch break!
‣ These clamshell purses will add real value to your range of handmade bags. They look fabulously cute when they're complete!
‣ To help you on your way we've added a freebie clamshell purse pattern to our freebies page.
‣ Limit of 4 clamshell purse kits per order (please contact us if you require more than 4).
‣ The clamshell purse kit consists of a high quality shiny metal frame [7" (18cm) x 3½" (9cm) x 2½" (6.3cm) deep] and two hard plastic cases or shells that fit snugly inside the frame.
‣ The clasp on the top of the frame has a shiny round faux diamond in the centre.
‣ Concealed on the inside the frame there are two rings so that you can attach your own handle if you choose.
All you need to do to make the purse is to go to your stash of fabric off-cuts and from a thin piece of fabric (no thicker than quilting weight fabric) cut a rectangle approximately 10" (25.5cm) x 6½" (16.5cm). Next, using a paint brush coat the entire outer side of each of the plastic cases and the flat inside edge with a thin layer of PVA glue (available here). Don't do anything to the inside of the case just yet, you'll do the inside after you've done the outside. Next, gently smooth the fabric over the case and fold the corners in. Wait for the glue to dry and then trim the fabric so that it is even with the edge of the case. You don't want the fabric overhanging too much over the flat edge as it may be seen on the inside of the purse. Now you can repeat all of this for the inside of the cases. Wait for the glue to dry and then finally, squirt a small amount of glue into the crevice on the metal frame and snap your fabric covered plastic case into the frame.